on how to remember happy memories...

 this is not my typical blog post, but i came across an article today on the best ways to help your brain remember happy memories. i was pleased to see that one of their top recommendations was journaling (which i obviously do!). it talked about how journaling helps you re-live the memory by writing about it, which in turn helps make it stick in your brain better. and of course going back and reading your journal entries helps with that too. it's probably sort of crazy that most of my kids' lives so far are captured on here, but i hope it will be a gift to them someday. it's already one for me. 

the other type of memory jogging that they talked about is sensory. i've always felt a strong tie to memories through my senses. specifically sound and smell. i've mentioned before my love of james taylor, van morrison, and the band because hearing those songs that my parents used to play when i was a kid brings me right back to ordinary days at home. i can picture being in my house on a summer day with the windows wide open. playing toys or just hanging out while my parents did stuff around the house. i wish i could go back for a day. the smell of a fireplace has the same effect. i can picture cold winter mornings when my dad would make a fire in our fireplace after getting off work in the morning. he would move his chair in front of it to warm his feet too and drink his coffee. 

i just felt like writing this out after reading about it. :)

Comments

Popular Posts